Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Museum/gallery wrap



I like the look of a "gallery wrap" or a "museum wrap" style of presentation, where an image is put onto canvas and then stretched around a frame. This is the first one I've had done. It arrived today and I'm really happy with it. I went with a company called APC. Their website was easy to use, all my questions were answered onsite, their service was fast and reasonably priced, and the quality of the product is excellent.

In the top photo you can see my original image as it appeared on my blog a month or so ago. Next you see the gallery wrap on my wall. It's 1.5" thick, 20"x20" in size. Because they need to stretch the image around the frame, I added 1.75" to each side of my photo in Photoshop. I needn't have bothered. They'll do that bit of work for you at no charge. (By the way, if you're a National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) member, you receive a discount.)

And then finally you see how it looks on my wall. It has enough of a presence that, from in the living room, about 20 or 25 feet away, it looks really good. It helps that my composition is simple and bold, however. Something more delicate and subtle might not have worked nearly as well.

I know I sound like a commercial for this company, but I am truly impressed. From my initial connection at their website to today's "unveiling" after the FedEx guy left, I couldn't be happier. ©Carol Leigh