Tuesday, April 17, 2012

It's National Haiku Poetry Day

Wondering what to post this morning. I riffle through all the official celebrations for April 17th. Aha! It's National Haiku Poetry Day. So first I have to look at the structure of a haiku. Three lines. Five syllables in the first, seven in the second, five in the third.

Now, what to write? I sit at my desk. Listening to the quiet.  All I can hear is the clock in this room ticking. But I can also hear, on the other side of the wall, the clock ticking in my studio. Two clocks. But they're not ticking in unison.

Now, what about a photo? This one seems appropriate. Weird, but appropriate. 

I haven't written a haiku since I was in college. So here's my first try after X number of years . . .

hearing two clocks tick
in asynchronous rhythm
follow the slower

©Carol Leigh, who would love to read whatever haiku YOU create today . . .