Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Re-charged and ready to go . . .




Chris and I are back home from house-sitting in La Jolla and I can't wait to download my images and get to work on new work! So many exquisite textures I found to shoot, with so many possibilities. And so nice to be back and using my own tools, my own computer, seeing my work on a decent monitor, having access to certain software. It all begins today.

And the physical elements I collected to photograph: A big, thick 1908 Japanese ledger book, a packet of aged paper, a funky old rubber stamp, colored mulberry tissue paper, a marine chart from 1944, a bit of correspondence from 1831 (all sepia ink and that exquisite old-fashioned handwriting of the time), a heavily textured little wooden pear, an empty photo album with big black pages, etc.

We visited with relatives, friends, an ex-spouse, and became friends with a beach bunny from "Beach Blanket Bingo." We took short trips to the San Diego Botanic Garden, Little Italy, Solana Beach, the Gaslamp Quarter, Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano, and took numerous walks all over La Jolla, to art museums, galleries, nurseries, and, on the last day, had some solitary shooting time from sunset into twilight on the beach. Ahhhhhhh!

What to do today? Download my photos (in progress as I'm writing this), critique students' work in my current online class, put things away in the studio, and perhaps work on a book idea that's been swirling around in my head -- a physical, one-of-a-kind book. We shall see. Have to test out printing on the aged paper I got in Solana Beach. Is this a great day already, or what?!

Wishing you this same energy for whatever you love to do...

©Carol Leigh