Monday, March 17, 2014

A reading moratorium . . .

Well, isn’t this interesting? The next section (on page 87) in The Artist’s Way is about not reading for a week. “If you feel stuck in your life or in your art, few jump starts are more effective than a week of reading deprivation.” That’s what I was reading this morning.

Fast-forward to this evening when I pick up the book World Enough & Time, where I’m at page 139, with a chapter header: “The Joy of Reading.” The author relates her love of books, that they provide "joy and connection and escape.”

I’ve always had at least two books going, often four. But I’ve never had one book tell me to stop reading the others!

What to do, oh, what to do?

Well, I am going to go on a reading hiatus, just not today. But doesn’t it sound interesting? No reading newspapers, online news, blogs, Facebook, no e-mail, no magazines, no crossword puzzles, etc. BUT NO BOOKS?! (Fanning face.) That’s the hardest.

I’ll let you know when I begin. And I’ll let you know how it goes . . . After all, the rules say don't read. They don't say anything about writing . . .

©Carol Leigh