Thursday, March 20, 2014

Reading hiatus . . . DAY THREE

I have decided that NOT reading isn't for me. But one of the alleged benefits in doing no reading for a week was that I would "run out of work and be forced to play."

Well, what if my work IS my play?

Or, if work is really my work, then maybe my "play" is reading? But I'm not allowed to read!

Do you see the conundrum?

The REAL message, for me, is balance.

Walk. Read. Shoot. Relax. Paint. Make physical collages. Make photomontages. Walk some more. Go off by myself every week. Limit computer time. And take a walk. Oh, and sleep at least six hours a night (instead of three to four hours, which is literally killing me).

So, as I posted previously, I know that I CAN follow the no-reading exercise. But it just feels WRONG. Reading is highly pleasurable for me. Always has been. To give it up increases my stress levels (never good).

If the lesson is balance, then lesson learned.

So what shall I do today? Well, maybe I'll go to the aquarium, walk around Nye Beach, have a grilled salmon sandwich, go to the Yaquina Art Center, and then GO TO THE LIBRARY!

Ahhh! I feel lighter and happier already!

©Carol Leigh