Saturday, April 12, 2014

Burglar flees crime scene . . .





In yesterday's post I mentioned a break-in. Our shed was forcibly entered and a LOT of birdseed went missing from a galvanized metal trashcan. We suspected raccoons.

At 3:20 this morning I hear something crashing around in the shed. I lay in bed wondering if the raccoon could remove the 4x4 piece of wood I'd wedged tightly between the garbage can lid and the handle.

Lots of thumps and thuds. Forty minutes later I hear a crash and a sound not unlike a garbage can lid crashing into the shed door. Then silence. Then I sleep.

Later this morning, around 6:45, I glance out the window to see the culprit emerging from the smaller of the two holes he's made in the shed roof. Slowly he pulls himself out, gazing groggily around. Takes him about 20 minutes to figure out how to jump from the roof to the trellis to the deck to his final getaway.

He runs across the yard slowly. It's hard to run with eight pounds of birdseed in one's stomach...

©Carol Leigh

P.S. Photos hastily taken through a dirty window using a Lumix G2 at ISO 3200 before sunrise. Colors are wacky and light balance runs to a bluish green. Not unlike the raccoon, I was groggy and in a hurry!