Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Latest work: "Miss Bergeron"

I don't know about you, but I have a file in my computer called "works in progress." This is where I put everything I'm working on but am not quite sure if the piece is "finished." Don't want to throw it out, don't want to lose it, so I stick it into one particular directory to be looked at and worked on later, with fresher eyes, with new eyes. Or I may simply toss it out, knowing it will never really work.

I looked at my "works in progress" directory this morning, looking for something a bit lighter, a bit brighter than what I've been producing of late. This image caught my eye. I added just one more thing to it (a Chinese receipt) and considered it done.

I created this postcard using photos of stamps from my collection, various cancellation marks, a hand-painted background, a Chinese receipt I found in my dad's drawer, and a fanciful bird. I like the overall lightness and the underlying feeling of mystery.

© Carol Leigh