Monday, November 3, 2014

Almost packed . . .


I finished these two physical collages the other day and I'm appropriately posting them now because in a couple of days I'M GOING TO KYOTO, JAPAN! Hoo ha!

Toward the beginning of this year, I signed up for a photo workshop in Japan, and although I'm traveling solo (no, Chris isn't going, much to Abby's delight), I already know four others in the group (a small group of 12).

As you know, there's a definite Japanese vibe in a lot of the work I create, so this trip will feed my soul as well as my suitcase as I photograph AND collect interesting papers and other things for my artwork. It's almost funny how few clothes I'm taking so that I'll have plenty of room for whatever I find. I'm keeping the camera gear to a minimum as well, since my trusty sherpa won't be with me this trip.

When I registered for the workshop, November seemed so far in the future. Well, surprise! It's here and I am ready. The toughest part is going to be the long slog getting there. I fly from Portland to Seattle, then to South Korea, change planes and fly to Osaka, where I then take a shuttle 1.5 hours to Kyoto.

Kyoto is 17 hours ahead of Oregon, so even though I leave early in the morning on Thursday, I won't arrive at the hotel until nearly midnight on Friday. Yikes! More to follow . . .

©Carol Leigh

All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!