Saturday, November 22, 2014

Latest work: "Time Overseas"

My recent trip to Japan recalls a year spent there when I was twelve. Time passes. Things change, things remain the same. This photomontage was made using old papers, torn photos, pictures of watch faces, and the cover of an antique Japanese book.

I've been home a couple of days but it's hard to get back into the creative swing of things. I look at all the papers and old books I brought back from Japan and my mind goes blank. Such pressure to make new and wonderful things, and such new and wonderful stuff to use! But I've got nothing. A couple ideas, sure. Have to do some experimenting to see if what I'm envisioning will work. But basically I'm feeling frozen.

First things first. One step at a time. Clear the decks. Organize the stash. Pick ONE thing to do. Begin doing it. That's all.

But it's not all. There are photos to go through, to analyze, to sort, to edit. And maybe one of those photos will beg to be used in a photomontage, with maybe a photo of an old book cover, maybe some monoprinting I've done. The combination of digital fodder and physical fodder is exciting yet daunting. And soon I find my brain is a maelstrom of ideas, excitement, despair, and inaction.

So.  First things first. One step at a time. Clear the decks. Organize the stash. Pick ONE thing to do. Begin doing it. That's all. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!