Monday, April 13, 2015

Latest work: "Red Planet Full Moon"

I have a "works in progress" file where I keep photomontages that, to me, don't seem quite right, or unfinished.

Rather than throw them out (and lose all that time and effort), I hang onto them, hoping that with a bit of time and maybe fresher eyes I'll figure out how to turn them into something special.

And that's what happened here. I pulled up a photomontage that's been hanging around and added a couple more things to it.

First of all, I'd removed an old oil painting from its frame and found the back side more fascinating than the front. The canvas had cracks in it, lots of texture, lots of thin spots, and was very brown. Perfect! So I shot it, added it to my base photomontage and liked how warm the image looked.

But it still needed something else.

So I photographed the case of an old watch (which even had a bit of the jeweler's fingerprint remaining on it) and created my full "moon."

And so, ta da! here you have my latest work: "Red Planet Full Moon."

In addition, as part of National Library Week:

“I think the health of our civilization, the depth of our awareness about the underpinnings of our culture and our concern for the future can all be tested by how well we support our libraries.”
— Carl Sagan

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!