Friday, February 23, 2018

A month of hearts: February 22


Why create something like this? I didn't think it would work all that well as a framed print. Had some doubts. But I still liked it. Should I upload it to Fine Art America?

It was when I saw the artwork as a throw pillow that I knew I'd made the right decision. It looks GREAT as a pillow! I ordered one to be used in the guest room and it's perfect. It also looks good as a tote bag.

What's my point? I know why I create images, and I always have those "whys" in the back of my head. So if I see a heart, I immediately think of my online class "heart" assignments, I think of stock photography, I think of Valentine cards, I think of teaching tools, I think of FAA, I think of use in a photomontage. And sometimes I just think, "Cool!" Snap.

In my little world, not everything has to be frame-worthy. There's so much more to the images I create.

Why do you take the photos you do? Why do you create, paint, draw, images? Is it practice? Is it an excuse for being out just looking? Are you selling your work? Might you be? Are you creating photo books for your family? Are you teaching? Might you be?

In this case, I was just experimenting with painting hearts, tearing up the paper, placing the hearts on more paper, nothing else on my mind but "what if." So it was for practice, for possible sale at FAA, as well as part of an ongoing fixation with hearts.

Throughout my professional life, my intent was to encourage you to look. That was my main goal -- to help you see. And if sending you on a quest for hearts helped you notice more things around you, I was happy. Still am! Wishing you a heart-filled existence always.

All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you for your kindness.