Friday, February 16, 2018

Latest work: "Electric Only"

As usual, I'm in a bit of a rut/funk/swamp creating new artwork. I spend hours working on something only to just toss the whole thing.

This piece began as something completely different, with flat colors, wonky shapes, and trapezoids. At least it was a start, even if it wasn't going anywhere.

But as I began adding elements, my entire concept transmogrified into this. The only thing that remains from the original are the two running zig-zags. And even then, there was originally just one, not two.

So yeah, I know it's weird. But I like it! I like the bright colors, the round thingies up top (originally rivets), the words ELECTRIC ONLY that were on something I photographed, but cannot remember now what it was. And I like the scratched metal that's in there.

It's a good thing that whatever I make, I make entirely for me, not for anyone else. And if it sells, that's great. And if it doesn't, well, I hope it does, but if not, I had a good time making this piece and learned something along the way. I don't know exactly what I learned, but I'm sure it was something.

All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh.