Friday, May 11, 2018

They got mail . . .


I asked three people in my Photomotivation Facebook group if they'd like to receive something from me, a little piece of art. They (perhaps foolishly) said yes and so here's what I sent them.

Each received a painted or collaged note card, with a message from me about the picture as well as a personal greeting.

Why? It made me feel good. It encouraged me to make something specific, tangible, physical. And I knew they'd enjoy getting a piece of snail mail. Snail mail that wasn't an advertisement.

Also, while in a waiting room a few months ago, I met a woman who lives on Orcas Island. She makes things. She suggested I get away from the computer, to make physical art. I listened.

We've corresponded. I've sent her papers and she's sent me some. She lives off the grid. Her envelopes and their contents smell like wood smoke.

Seemingly chance encounters that lead to something more that lead to something more.

Happy weekend, all!

All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you for your understanding and kindness.