Wednesday, June 12, 2013

This was supposed to be a photo of fishing nets

Yesterday morning it was drizzly and overcast, perfect for photographing colorful fishing nets. But wouldn't you know it? I stepped out of the car and three minutes later it was bright and sunny and no way was this conducive to the types of photos I had in mind. So I bypassed the nets, instead looking for texture and abstract patterns on metal containers, on fishing boat equipment, etc. Ten minutes later I was done.

Looking at my resulting photos, there was one in particular of paint and shadows on galvanized aluminum with a sort of subliminal "N" in the design. So I looked at my collection of letters and selected an "N" I'd photographed on the side of a truck a number of years ago. That's all I need sometimes, a background and a letter or number, and I'm off, adding colors, other photos of scratches, peeling paint, ink stains, and more until I'm finally done. It's not a quick process (most of the time). I worked on this a couple of hours yesterday and then got up at 2 this morning to finish it off. It's now 4 a.m. The photo has been uploaded to Fine Art America, is here in this blog, and it's also a part of my Flickr site, where I've got a small gallery of letters that you can see here if you wish: http://www.flickr.com/photos/80859324@N00/sets/72157629024525949/

And now, maybe I should go back to bed . . .

©Carol Leigh