Sunday, October 13, 2013

Latest work: "Proof XIV"

I bought some cardboard cards (very soft, very weathered) and the guy asked what I was going to do with them. How do I answer that? How do I explain what I do? And really, does he care? In this case, he did, because he and his wife are both artists. She creates steampunkish mixed-media sculptures and he makes jewelry (I bought a pendant that he made with a very small pulley, a garnet mined in Montana, and a tiny watch spring.) So yes, he was an exception. But for the most part, explaining my art is difficult for me to do. Even to myself!

All the elements in this photomontage are photographs I've taken of old papers, pages from vintage books, metal, leather, book covers, game boards, old portraits from the 1800s and early 1900s, and more. Sometimes my montages come together quickly. This one took about a week. ©Carol Leigh