Saturday, August 26, 2017

Latest work: "Japanese Collage"

I finished up a big collage project (a sort of Japanese "sampler" book, 34 pages, stab-bound, daifuku-cho style) a couple days ago. It was a messy project, with lots of little bits and pieces of paper laying about.

As I was cleaning up, I began playing with those bits and created this small collage. I especially like how the design looks like a Japanese kanji character. I just hope I've not said something offensive with it!

The postage stamp is from my collection, and was published between 1940 and 1944. When our family moved from Hawaii to Japan, I remember looking out the plane window to see Mt. Fuji rising out of the clouds. Quite the sight. Hence the use of this "Blue Fuji" stamp here.

On to the next project -- a 6.5' table runner for the dining room table, done as one continuous collage. At least that's the plan . . . 

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh.