Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Good things come in large and small packages






Two presents arrived on the same day this week. Two! And it wasn't even my birthday. A card and three little hearts from Carol D., for "no special reason, no special season," but because she's a deceptively nice person and she knows I love hearts. I was hoping they were candy hearts, but no such luck! The card and the hearts are now on a little shelf here above my desk. Thank you, madam. Your small gift means a lot. (How'd you like the "deceptively nice" zinger in there?)   :-)

And then from Kathleen A. in Maryland came a large box full of very cool papers from her personal stash. Handmade papers, soft rice papers, lots of lovely calligraphy, a veritable potpourri of material, including a little bag o' beads. She's feeding my collage habit and I'm feeling the pressure now: I have to create things worthy of all this paper. And I am. And I will. And I have been. And I will be posting the collages and offering them for sale in a week or so.

The beauty of these papers is that I can photograph bits and pieces of them to use in digital photomontages. And THEN I can use them again in physical collages. And THEN I can photograph bits and pieces of the collages to use in digital montages and, well, you see where all this is leading, don't you? To total INSANITY! But I mean "insanity" in a good way...

I took photos of the box as I slowly lifted out the papers so you could see how neat all this is.

I often feel I live and work in a vacuum here on the Oregon coast. This was a day that proved me wrong. And which I'll always remember. Thank you both. XOXO Carol Leigh