Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Untitled

In this piece I combined photos I'd taken of a crow, a stained Braille page from the New York Times, an ink spill in an old textbook, and (faintly) characters from an old Japanese book. I like how the ink stain balances the crow and how the "movement" in the ink flows left-right while the "movement" in the crow leads us from right to left.

You know what's weird? As lovely as the black and white beach photo was in the previous post, it's putting together something like this, that most people would not consider beautiful, that is so much more satisfying (to me). And challenging. On the beach I was appreciating and composing a scene. I identified what caught my eye and attempted to fill my frame with just that. In this case, with this image, I had no idea what I was going to make. I just began "building" the picture. One step led to another until I considered it "done."

Bear with me a second . . . Photographing the beach scene was a meaningful experience. The exhilaration of seeing the light and what it was doing, the mystery of the "ghost forest," the adrenaline rush of trying to find a clear viewpoint before the light disappeared — I won't forget that. Photographing an ink stain, some pieces of paper, and a silhouette of a bird cannot compare to photographing at the beach. But the quiet satisfaction of putting together those photos to create this piece, ah, unforgettable as well, but in a different way.

Obviously I didn't create the glory of the beach scene. I interpreted it. Here, I began with nothing, and created something.

It's 2:30 in the morning. I'm babbling. Don't know where I'm going with all this. Probably should just go back to bed!

©Carol Leigh, befuddled with the creative process but carrying on nevertheless . . .