Monday, September 30, 2013

Paint Chip Inspiration: "Crushed Seed"

If this is your first visit and you've not seen this "Paint Chip Inspiration" feature, let me repeat what I wrote last week:

This idea is not unique to me. It comes from Rachel Berger here: http://observatory.designobserver.com/entry.html?entry=11257

She selected a paint chip out of a bag, one a day for 100 days, and wrote a short response to that color/that color's name. BRILLIANT! So I thought, I like color. I can write. I can doodle. I have paint chips. And I can scan. So here I am with my first sixth paint chip. . .

If the printing is too small, here's what it says:

CRUSHED SEED
The word "seed" in this paint chip makes me think of the California poppy seeds I scattered around our deck this year, how they bloomed and then re-seeded themselves. Hoping for a good bloom next year. Which reminds me of the most remarkable thing I saw from an airplane window a number of years ago. I traveled from Portland to San Diego in April. Looking out the window I saw a swath of orange that looked like a bag of Cheetos had been spilled on the land. It was the Antelope Valley at the height of the poppy bloom. Although I'd been there numerous times leading photo walks and photo picnics, never had I seen the aerial scope of the place. A view I will never forget.

©Carol Leigh
9/30/13