Friday, March 31, 2017

What I'm working on . . .


For the past 15 years or more I've been entranced with the military bunkers in the Pacific Northwest. I love their age, their solidity, their mystery.

And then there's the grunge. The dirt. The overall patina.

For someone like me, who loves abstract lines, forms, designs, and textures, visiting these places is akin to visiting Disneyland when I was nine.

I would like to make a handmade book featuring my photos, and I'd like the photos to be black and white.

Why? Because look at the difference here. My original photograph shows the way this bunker interior has been painted. It's powder blue, for heaven's sake! And the walls look smooth, well-kept. It's boring.

But see it in black and white and the vibe is totally different. It's appropriate. And look at all the texture we can see in the black and white version. Shadows become SHADOWS. Soft lines become stark and bold. And texture is revealed and enhanced, texture we might not have noticed at first. Now it's all in your face. And that's what I love.

Now that the weather's getting warmer, I'll be out there with my tripod, going from room to room, exploring, searching out elements such as this, composing, looking, looking, looking, creating.

And the goal is a small, handmade book. A book that will reflect the texture and grit and mystery of these cement remnants here in the Pacific Northwest.

Wish me luck! Am still working on the Kyoto book as well . . .

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh.