Saturday, May 27, 2017

We are new "parents"

I didn't see him/her at first. I had pulled a couple of weeds and then tossed them over onto a weed pile when I saw a little face.

Eyes wide open, perfectly hunkered down, this guy was frozen in place. At first I thought he was dead. (Given my luck with the abandoned eggs in the junco nest and the baby robin I found last week, I feared the worst.)

But no, this little guy, smaller than a baked potato, was alive and well and doing what he should be doing when a large predator (me) arrives on the scene: He was pretending to be a baked potato.

But wait! There's another one a yard or so away. And then a third a few yards off to the right. And finally a fourth, beside a rhododendron bush. No potato impersonations for #4 -- he darted off deeper into the brush.

I ran into the house to grab my iPhone, ran out, and all three were still there. Still motionless. Still incredibly cute.

We'll see how cute they are in a month, when all my hosta plants have disappeared!

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh.