Sunday, December 29, 2019

Monthly favorites -- January through April, 2019




When we're children and we're asked, "What's your favorite color?" "What's your favorite ice cream?" "Who's your favorite teacher?" We have answers. Answers that are instantaneous. Definite answers. "Blue." "Chocolate." "Mrs. Middendorf."

Our scope as children is limited. Out of a world of choices, we actually know very little, don't have much to choose from, so choosing is easy.

We age and experience so much more. So choosing, say, a favorite color, I think, "favorite color for what? My favorite color car? House paint? Coat? Flower? Parakeet? Wine?"

Who can choose (as an adult), without narrowing things down? Without questioning the question?

So when I say "monthly favorite" for January, I chose the top red picture. It's not necessarily my favorite, but rather it's one I'm particularly proud of. I made the background paper. I created the faux calligraphy. I knew how to combine the two and enhance them to make this bold, Asian-esque, picture. I find the image striking, exciting, and different. Of the pictures I posted in January of this year, this one hits the most notes for me.

In February, it snowed. And it was glorious! I've not experienced a lot of snow and when it happens like this, I feel giddy, like a kid again. I stood on the front porch, nice and dry and protected, and clicked away. Then just watched. Big fluffy snowflakes softly falling, the leafless Japanese snowbell tree standing out beautifully against the darker woods in the background, the quiet, the raven call ... aaahhh!

The picture that impacted me most of the ones I posted in March was the Deception Pass image. It's not necessarily the best thing I've ever produced, but I worked hard putting it together, combining a variety of images that tell a story of sorts. Of where we live, what we see, how people make a living here, etc. Included in this mix is the aft section of the F/V Deception Pass, rust, worn and scraped metal, a silhouette of a fishing boat, and more. A lot of what I make is a combination of right brain/left brain. Right-brain intuitive combinations, and left-brain conscious choices, such as the complementary colors of orange and blue.

And then in April we were visiting friends in San Diego, and I always find things around their house, their yard, their neighborhood to photograph. I found this bunny-fied wreath just to the left of their front door and had to photograph it. It's charming, makes me feel happy, and it made my friends take a second look at the specialness of their wreath, enough to encourage them to take pictures of it themselves!

It's almost 2020, and nice to look back on what I've made throughout 2019. Time has sped up. Seeing these photos encourages me to slow down and reflect. These aren't necessarily my "favorite" pictures, but they're certainly some strong memories.

Four more pictures to follow tomorrow from May, June, July, and August.

Images copyright ©2019 Carol Leigh