Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Focus . . .

Time moves on. You become more aware of mortality -- your own and others'. You begin seeing a larger picture. Beauty is easier to find. You have done so much in your life, and you want to do so much more. But your body begins betraying you just when loved ones need you to be strong. It's tougher to carry a tripod, heavy camera, and a long lens. Everything takes just a little more effort.

So it's often hard to focus. And when you DO focus, it's in shorter bursts because it's tougher to stand at a work table for any length of time, and it's tough to sit as well.

But obviously it's easier to whine! And feel sorry for yourself, as though you're the only one going through this.

So I focus on "small pleasures." The little things I notice and enjoy. The way the cottontail rabbit comes running up when I'm putting out seed for the birds. The sounds of owls hooting back and forth and being able to tell who is hoooooooo. The way the person I'm eavesdropping on talks about landing in the "sticker bushes." Sticker bushes? I love how that sounds! And who ever actually says "sticker bushes?"

And this quote, "Procrastination is totally a good thing. You always have something to do tomorrow, plus you have nothing to do today." Author unknown. Wish I'd written it.

So instead of focusing on what might be considered negative in my life, I am attempting to focus on what is positive. The camera/tripod/lens combo might be heavy, but how lucky am I that I can still maneuver it? Just the fact that I have the talent to create interesting photos of everyday things is a gift. That I have a plethora of art ideas; all I need to do is act on one of them! To focus!

And I'm so lucky to have a spouse who loves me unequivocally and enhances my life so much. I need to focus more on that.

Image ©2020 Carol Leigh