Thursday, December 16, 2010

Wait a minute ...

It kind of takes you aback for a second, doesn't it? A scene of an old harbor with a modern NO PARKING sign? This is one of the murals along Newport's Historic Bayfront. The overall lighting, the reflections in the wet street, and the "time juxtaposition" lured me in.

Note to camera geeks: For the past four months or so I've been using a Panasonic Lumix G2 camera and two different lenses -- a 14-42mm and a 45-200mm. (When shooting macro/close-up photos, I use a Canon 50D camera with a 100mm macro lens and a variety of extension tubes and close-up filters.) My plan is to use the Lumix G2 as a travel kit (where I don't usually do much macro/close-up work) because it's lightweight and flexible. (And it's red . . . but you knew that.) It also makes me look less like a professional photographer, which I enjoy. The learning curve for the Lumix G2 was steeper than I thought it would be, but I seem to have a fairly good handle on it now, and am enjoying the ability to carry the camera and have the extra lens, batteries, cards, fit in a purse. The results are very good. The photos consistently pass quality control in the stock agency I belong to, which was a big relief. All the photos you see on this blog, beginning August 29th, were taken using the Lumix (except for whatever macro photos are in there). End of techno commercial ... ©Carol Leigh