Monday, April 4, 2016

A slightly different direction




When we moved here to Whidbey Island, one of my first goals was to photograph the military bunkers and gun emplacements on the island (and nearby). So I began doing that and, instead of creating color images, decided to work on toning them and/or creating black and white versions. They haven’t been successful in my opinion, so although the photography has been continuing, the processing has sort of gone by the wayside.

I was inspired to return to it for two reasons. Fay Henexson showed me some intriguing black and white photos that she had taken. (Here’s a link to her blog, but I couldn’t find the black and white images:  http://henexson.zenfolio.com/blog/2016/4/abstracts-and-other-pleasures.) And I also have begun playing with Nik filters this past week.

I believe I’ve come up with a satisfactory way of making my images into black and white, which involves not only using the Nik filters, but a lot of other techniques as well. We shall see. It’s all an experiment.

Since I continue shooting and I also have a large backlog of photos taken over the years, I’ve got a lot of work to do. I’ll post some here from time to time as I move through. You know how excited I get about photographing in boatyards? Well, military bunkers do exactly the same thing. It’s all about texture, line, and design. Woo hoo!

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!