Thursday, January 20, 2011

Late afternoon on the beach



Around 3:00 I arrived at Seal Rock and began the hike south to see what I could find. There are a couple of creeks that flow across the sand to the sea and they were running pretty fast and deep (for creeks), the result of our heavy rains. Luckily with my boots my feet stayed dry, but my pants got soaked as I waded across, headed toward the rocks.

At one point, I was accompanied by a great blue heron. He watched as I walked past. I stopped to photograph some rocks, looked to see where he went, and he was just off to my left, again watching me. I moved on down the beach and so did he. It's like we were doing a little dance, working in tandem, each of us watching the other, but pretending not to. 

About a mile later, at the farthest southern section of the beach, where you can't go any farther, there's a little cave-like area where the seas surge in through a narrow opening. I set up my tripod and photographed one-second exposures of the moving water. Both of these were at f/22, ISO 100. (Yes, Gisela, I know you like knowing about that stuff!)

The light was beginning to change now, with the sky growing orange, and I began making my way back north, shooting as I went. I'm using a wide-angle lens and I'm shooting landscapes -- not exactly what I'm known for and not exactly what I'm comfortable with -- but I'm enjoying the process.

Now it's getting kind of dark and I still have a couple of creeks to cross before I get back to my car. I pick up the pace.

It's been a good three hours. Lots of walking. Lots of looking. Lots of beauty to be photographed. The beach is all mine -- no one else wanted to ford the creek. And my dance with my new pal, the great blue heron, was amazing.

Wishing you all golden sunsets, moving waters, and dances with herons. ©Carol Leigh