Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Taking liberties . . .



As I was preparing this photograph to be uploaded to Fine Art America, I found I was taken more with the graphic forms of my composition (gotta love those repeating vertical and horizontal lines) than I was with the original colors. I wondered how I could punch up the shot to make it bolder and brighter.

I turned to Topaz Adjust 5, which has a variety of filters designed to do all sorts of cool things. As I was scrolling down the selections, I accidentally clicked "Solarized Dreams." Now, I NEVER use "Solarized Dreams," but in this case, I loved the screaming complementary colors of blue and golden orange. So I selected that.

Then I wanted to soften the photo somewhat, make it a tad more painterly, so I chose a filter called "Venice Paint." That filter maintained the colors, enhanced them a bit, and also softened the overall look. I'm happy.

But then, as is my wont, I wondered how the photo would look cropped down to a square format. And I like that, too.

So there you go. That's how I spent the first hour of this lovely morning. It's going to be a good day.

©Carol Leigh