Friday, June 12, 2015

Latest work: "Warrenton Woodwork"


These are two images I recently made available on Fine Art America. I offered two versions, one square, and one a horizontal "full frame" image. As always, I ask myself which one I prefer.

I do like the square format and I think that it helps emphasize the abstract calligraphy/circles in the picture.

But I think the bottom one, the horizontal one, has more of a feeling of movement; it's not as static as the square image. My eye tends to slide right and left along the horizontal lines of the background, and I find that more compelling than the square format where my eye goes blam! right to the center and then tends to just stay there.

I created this photomontage using photos I'd taken of fishing boats in Warrenton, Oregon, up by Astoria, photos of hand-created and painted circles, and calligraphy from various antique Japanese books.

©Carol Leigh
 All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!