Friday, June 3, 2016

Around the yard




It was a cool, misty morning and so I wandered around the yard to see what I could find. I think we're going to have bright sunshine soon, and I always want to take advantage of morning magical overcast light.

This is my favorite tree in the yard. I don't know what it is. I don't think it will flower. But in the fall it turns a bright yellow. I have two handmade "things" hanging from it, which can only be seen in the winter. You stand underneath the tree, and you feel as if you're in a fort. Makes me feel like a kid. All those branches hanging down low and enclosing me.

Around the back are three flavors of hosta, which are flourishing. Deer and rabbits both like to nibble on them, but we've found something called "Deer Fence," which we spray on these and some other plants and (gasp!), the deer and bunnies keep their distance.

Thinking at first they were weeds, and almost yanking them out, turns out foxgloves have sprung up here and there around the yard. Lovely tall spires of flowers. The bumblebees love them, and it's fun to see them fly into an individual flower, and watch the flower vibrate with their activity.

And then finally a photo of the buoys we've attached to a post. We couldn't leave the Oregon coast without bringing a little bit of it with us.

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh.