Sunday, July 24, 2016

Local signage


In my days of stock photography, I trained myself to look for (and photograph) signs. And they sold. Some still do. I've sold a "No Parking" sign I shot in Breckenridge, Colorado a number of times. Same with tsunami evacuation signs I shot in Waldport, Oregon. "No Pets" signs. "No Minors Allowed."

So if a sign seems interesting to me, or humorous, or colorful, I tend to photograph it. It's become a habit.

Here are two I found lately. The "Antiques" sign was in front of a shop in Langley on Whidbey Island. It was a bright, sunny day, so I was looking in the shade for possibilities, and I liked how the light was rather muted, letting the warm colors of the oars and the basket stand out when combined with the greyish blue and green colors of the metal sign and the old wicker. (And look at how everything diagonates from upper right to lower left. Love that.)

And then the "Welcome to the Third Room" is a terrific sign I found inside the Marine Hardware store in Anacortes. We bought a bag of old rusty flanges. And of course you're thinking, "who wouldn't?", right? Chris and I are going to be making some assemblage art and yeah, old rusty flanges will be just the ticket! We shall see...

I should make a large print of this sign and put it on the studio door. "If we don't know what it is or what to do with it, it's in here." Open the door and there I am. With the cat.

Perfect.

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh.