Wednesday, October 4, 2017

From color to black and white (part 1 of 7)


There's a challenge going around in my corner of Facebook at the moment where someone challenges someone else to create one black and white image a day and to post it on Facebook. The "rules" are "no people and no explanation."

Sounded good to me: a new way to look at my images, no "people" photography (yay), and no need to write anything.

The second part of the challenge was to nominate someone ELSE to do the same thing. And so it would go.

Here's the first picture I attempted, a color image I'd taken in South Carolina a few years ago. I had toned it and applied a painterly look to it. Would this work in black and white? And why?

I was pleasantly surprised how nicely this image turned out once I removed the color. The lights and darks in the trees stand out more. The mysterious things in the distance show up more as well. And the dark tree trunks stand out better.

Which version do I prefer? Hmmm... I'm going to say the black and white version. And I never would have created it had I not been "challenged" on Facebook.

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh.