Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Gorge

Iron rails, offshore islands, ancient peoples, tall pines, and water moving, moving, moving: the Columbia River Gorge. I didn't start out thinking, "I'll make a montage depicting the Columbia River Gorge this morning." Nope, it all evolved, bit by bit, as I changed images from horizontals to verticals, added shadows, made paint into pine trees, turned a bit of iron into an island, and gently encouraged splatters to appear as petroglyphic figures moving upstream.

This piece has hard shapes and colors yet conveys a certain quiet and calm, which I find appealing. I like it so much that I've made (as usual) a print for myself and two to sell. They're 7" x 7" square, printed on 8½" x 11" paper. To purchase, and for more information, please click here. ©Carol Leigh