Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Three glimpses of Kyoto



Every once in awhile I go back to the photos I took in Kyoto and pick out one to work on. Although I loved the trip, the experience, I am disappointed with my photos, so I tend to tiptoe around them, cautiously open a file, see what's there, select one, then quickly close the file again so I can't see what a mess I made of things.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but the core of what I said is true. My photos are noisy, taken in haste, and often do not stand up to close inspection. And that's okay. I did what I could at the time and loved every minute of it.

I was experimenting with using shallow depth of field (f/1.8) on the trees, and in this first photo felt that the color was too much, but I liked the shapes of the leaves. So I converted the image to black and white to remove color and to emphasize leaf shape.

A rustic screen made of reeds covers a window in the second photo. I like the monochromatic look, the stark composition, the repeating forms of the reeds, and the textures.

And finally I offer you a photo of a temple, beautifully carved and painted and gilded. I found Kyoto to be an exciting mix of heavily detailed and refined architecture contrasted with sparer, simpler, and more rustic elements. 

And I will go back again. At a slower pace. A more contemplative pace. And along a more solitary path.

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!