Monday, September 28, 2015

Analog versus digital . . .


Friends here on Whidbey invited me and Chris over for chili the other night. The next day I wanted to make a card to thank them for an evening of good food and lots of laughter. So I made a quickie collage on a piece of 6x4 watercolor paper.

The first photo is how my collage looked.

I then brought my collage into the computer and added some things and did some tweaking to it.

The second photo is how that version looks. I uploaded the second version to Fine Art America.

What do you think? Do you think the second one is more appealing (and yeah, I know it's weird, so let's just agree on that -- you don't have to LIKE it!). What I like about the tweaked version is how much richer it looks, how I toned down the greenish cast that the original paper had, and how I added a bit of color and a bit of smudgery.

Smudgery. Great word, no? Feel free to use it wherever and whenever appropriate. Attribution always appreciated.

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!

6 comments:

Sam Hipkins said...

Carol... For me there is no contest between the two. The added color and a bit of smudgy is what was needed. Your inner artist told you what to do. Art begins within.

Warning...I may be making up for all the times when I lurked and made no comments. But the process in which we leave comments has gotten simple and that is what this feeble-minded, cyber dummy needed.

Sam Hipkins said...

I meant smudgery... a darn good word.

Carol Leigh said...

Warning well taken, Sam!

Anonymous said...

I prefer th second one. Seems to have more depth to it. I like retouched of color you added.

Anonymous said...

Yikes, glad I signed off as Anonymous. Should read I like the touch of color.

Carol Leigh said...

Yes, June, glad you signed as Anonymous, too! It'll be our little secret! 😄