Monday, September 7, 2015

Latest work: "River Walk Shadows"




This piece, which I uploaded to Fine Art America the other day, is made of three different photographs, all taken the same day in Kyoto.

I shot a shadow on a wall, a sign that had peeling tape and paint on it, and a placemat. That's it. No other pictures were added. I did do a few things to it (obviously) in Photoshop, but that's about it.

I make this sound very easy, don't I? And sometimes it is. What my process is, basically, is to create the "bones" of something and then manipulate them so that the various elements come together in a way that's pleasing to me.

You may not like this image, and I can understand why you might not -- it's dark and it's weird, and you don't know what it is. And it probably won't sell on FAA. No matter. In the course of my playing with the various components, I found myself liking the colors, the moody feeling, the concept of perhaps a city at twilight and reflections in water.

Could I have planned this ahead of time? Thought to myself, hmmm, can I make a moody image that implies reflections in water at dusk? Hell no! And I probably NEVER would have thought of combining these three photographs. I mean, who would?

This, to me, is the power of play, of experimenting, of having no fear of failure, no craving perfection.

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!