Thursday, September 7, 2017

Never as planned



I'm making a runner for our dining room table. It'll be made of papers, and is sort of a giant, thick-ish collage.

The plan for this morning was to make some indigo-colored papers that I will tear up and glue here and there.

"Making the paper" means using a Gelli plate and acrylic paints. You roll some paint(s) onto  the Gelli plate, make a design of some sort in the paint, lay a piece of paper over the design, press down, and then remove the paper.

It is fun and addicting.

By accident, I made some papers that were not indigo blue. Instead they were cream-colored, black, and some with just a trace of gold. And I thought they looked so cool I just kept on going. I know I'll use them eventually, so what the heck?

Here you see a table in the studio where I just toss things like this as they dry. Tomorrow I'll clean it all up.

You can see more papers in the middle shot, and then a close-up of one at the end.

I'm physically creating useful papers. Mentally, I'm creating a truckload of possibilities. [Rubbing hands together, cackly laughter.]

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh.