Thursday, November 3, 2016

Collage work . . .

I make a lot of envelopes. Not sure why, other than they're relatively small (this one's maybe 6"x6"), seemingly useful, and I create collages on them, turning them into little works of art. I also make collage postcards, which I will post here from time to time.

What I particularly like about these envelopes is how tactile they are. They're thick, yet soft. They've got lots of texture, lots of heft, and just feel old. I layer the papers both front and back and often the flap has more weight to it than the rest of the envelope. They're meant to be handled. If not fondled.

This is the front of one I made a few months ago. Old Japanese papers, torn bits of brown paper, and a little hint of red were all I needed.

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh.