Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Studio update . . . halfway there



The studio space is now definitely workable. Another bookcase is going in. Probably more shelves. More things on walls. The photo lights. A comfortable chair. I still have lots of boxes to unpack. But for right now, I can do things! Hooray!

Here's a "before" shot that I posted on October 15th, along with what the place looks like today. Both are panorama shots taken with the iPhone. The second one is much more inclusive, so the place looks way bigger than it is.

That white thing sticking out on the left is a big ol' light table that Chris had made for me when we were living in Costa Mesa. It has been in Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, San Diego, San Francisco, Palm Springs, Nevada City, the Oregon coast, and now here.

I no longer use it to look at slides, but it's a great surface to use to take simple photographs when I need to. I have two lights that sit on top of it, a rack I can put together in the back to hold backgrounds if I wish, and I can turn on the internal lights to do tracing and other things. It straddles two lateral files and is a good height for overall working.

I've got a little self-contained oil heater there in the back that seems to be heating the place just fine. We'll see how that goes as the winter season kicks in.

Keep in mind that this is a garage. It's not a cute little standalone casita down in the lower forty. It's not an artist's loft. But it's going to work great. I can go right into the laundry room from here to clean brushes, gourds, etc. I can open the big door in the spring and summer to look out at the trees and the yellow jackets. And there's a huge amount of space to even set up a long work table.

What this all really means is that I have no excuse for not making anything. Yikes! No pressure now!

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!