Saturday, October 31, 2015

Latest work: "Scrapbook Cover"

I woke up a couple of hours ago with an idea for a photomontage, wondering what it would look like if I combined a bunch of Japanese book covers together. I particularly like the look of the old Japanese postage stamp tucked into a fold of the paper.

It's raining today. Think I'll play with ink on paper. Which makes me think of when I was five. My parents (foolishly) gave me some markers (?) which consisted of plastic tubes that you filled with water, dropped in a color "pill," shook them up and were good to go.

"Don't play with them now. Wait until tomorrow when we can help you."

Tomorrow morning came and I was up and ready to go, but mom and dad were still asleep. "How hard could this be?" I assembled one of the tubes, added the color tablet (red), shook it up, and promptly spilled it onto their brand-new couch.

That was the day mom locked me out of the house. During a hurricane. Because she was afraid of what she would do to me.

I went across the street to the MacNeils, where they graciously let me weather the storm(s) -- the hurricane and my mom.

 ©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!