Sunday, February 8, 2015

Abstracts anywhere . . .



Repeating horizontal lines always catch my attention, and so I offer three different abstract images, completely different, yet they all consist of repeating horizontal lines.

A hillside at a local community college caught my eye, with a stripe of matted-down grasses forming the top layer, then a bit of the road, and then more grasses in the immediate foreground. I like how the simple bit of asphalt road creates a break between the two sets of grasses, yet connects the two.

And then there's the close-up of a circuit board that I shot a couple of years ago. What initially caught my eye was the complementary color combination of blue and gold. But how to make a composition out of the mish-mash that is a circuit board? And now that I'm looking again at this composition, maybe flipping it vertically might be better . . . the solid stripes anchoring the bottom and the lighter-colored floaty silver things more appropriately at the top . . .

And then there's the photo I took through a store window in Santa Fe of detail on a jacket. Again, repeating horizontal lines. I also like how the leather fringe and the silver cones form a bit of verticality amid the basic horizontal elements.

Abstracts are everywhere. It's how you compose the photograph that makes them interesting.

And oh, yes -- hello to my new friend in the Yukon!

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!