Friday, January 5, 2018

First picture sold on Fine Art America

Photograph of a collage that incorporates vintage papers, Japanese calligraphy, torn cardboard, and a red button.

Back in February of 2012 I signed up with Fine Art America to offer my pictures for sale. The process is that you produce a high-quality JPEG image, upload it to FAA, put in keywords and a description, and then you wait for the money to pour in!


Ha!


But I was lucky. A few weeks after signing up, I sold this picture. I had uploaded it February 7th and it sold on February 28th.


I didn’t sell anything else until sometime in May. And it was a greeting card. I got a dollar. (I know better now and have adjusted my mark-up accordingly!)


What’s my point?
Talent and tenacity.


FAA isn’t exactly a get-rich-quick income stream. It requires good art and staying power. 
Today I have 1,700 pictures with FAA (24 pictures per month, if you're counting). I had intended to have at least 3,000 by now. The key thing is that I am undeterred. I keep on submitting pictures.
 

Another key thing is that a lot of my work is simply different. I have no idea, when I’m making it, if it will sell. But if it pleases me (and I’m hard to please), then up it goes.
 

I invite you to see this picture on my FAA/Pixels website here:https://carol-leigh.pixels.com/featured/red-sun-collage-carol-leigh.html?newartwork=true
 

I also invite you to ask me if you have any questions about marketing your own work through Fine Art America (also known as pixels.com). Just leave your question/questions below in the comment box. I'm happy to give you a hand.

©Carol Leigh 
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh.