Thursday, January 18, 2018

What I'm working on . . .




Collages on boards.

Right now one part of the studio counter is covered with papers, stains, glues, paint, and more as I'm experimenting with creating collages on wooden cradle boards. I've never tried this.

The good part is that I have a lot of different papers from which to choose, which can be freeing. The bad part is that I have a lot of different papers from which to choose, which can be intimidating.

The process is that I simply begin laying out different papers, not gluing them down yet, which is what you're seeing here. They're just rough drafts, just ideas. Today I'll go back in and start making more "permanent" decisions.

The scary part comes when my next experiment will be to cover the collages with encaustic (wax). Maybe. What if I ruin them?! Once waxed, I can't go back. Yikes!

So once the collages are complete, I'll set them aside and then work with applying wax to some paper scraps. If that's successful, then yup, I'll wax the collages.

Shades of the movie "The Karate Kid." Wax on. Wax off.

All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh.