Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Latest work: "Full Moon January 2018"


As I work in my studio, I keep a small Moleskine notebook open and into it I paste little pieces of papers I’ve torn and otherwise might have thrown out. I have no plan — just arranging and gluing down paper in patterns that please me.

As I was making a handmade book about Japan, parts of those papers ended up here in my little notebook. I photographed that “collage,” brought it into the computer, and added more elements, such as my photos of old money, signature “hankos” or “chops,” and more.

A full moon appeared on the first day of 2018, and I celebrated that in this piece and uploaded it to Fine Art America.

But then, a few days later, I took it a step further. I converted the image into a more graphic and sort of sepia-toned look, which I also found appealing.

You can see both full-resolution images in my “Asian Influence” gallery at FAA here. I find it interesting to compare and contrast the two pictures, completely different from one another, yet the same.

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh.