Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Full-tilt three

Yesterday we went off-island so I could get some square copper nails at the Wooden Boat Chandlery in Port Townsend. It’s always a fun trip, involving a ferry ride, visiting the Chandlery, some antique shops, lunch at Doc’s Grill, and salivating over the ship hulls I’m going to be shooting once it gets just a tad warmer.

in the back of my mind, however, I was thinking I really need to find some more number “3s” to shoot for this ridiculous project I created for myself of posting a picture of the number “3” every day. Right now I just have 28 pictures. Must find some more.

The fun thing about having a quest is that it gets you looking a bit closer. If I hadn’t had “3s” on my mind, I would have missed this one. There was an old pinball machine in an antique mall. Hmmmm. Could there possibly be… YES! There it was. A cute little “3” just waiting for me. I used my cellphone, leaned over the machine (undoubtedly forcing a TILT had the machine been turned on), and took this shot of the number “3.” Done!

Is it terrific? Worthy of uploading to Fine Art America? Nope. But it’s the best I could do with the “camera” I had with me. The “3” is sharp. I like the faded vintage colors. I pumped up the saturation a bit on the number itself so that it would stand out more, but it’s not overly exaggerated.

I’m all about the looking, the noticing, the making something out of seemingly nothing. To do that, however, it often helps to have a quest in your mind. It could be stripes, shadows, circular forms, high-key images, mailboxes, etc. Or maybe just the number 3. Anything to get you out there seeing.

If you can’t see it, you can’t shoot it.

You can quote me on that.

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!