Sunday, March 13, 2016

It's all part of the process





Based on how well I liked my previous polka-dotted “3,” I thought I’d try something similar with another one. I’m showing you the versions I went through (not ALL of them, because they’d make you as crazy as they made me) and then the final version.

I found this “3” back in 2005, probably on the side of a fishing boat, maybe on the side of a dumpster. I liked the golden colors, the rust, the texture.

Then I added a tan-colored texture to the picture and came up with a very different, very muted, yet very colorful version of the “3.” I was intrigued. But the “3” seemed to blend in too much, no real differentiation from the background.

So in the third photo, I darkened the “3.” Not bad.

But what if I add polka dots and some color? (The fourth photo.) Well, now it’s looking kind of muddy.

So finally, in desperation, I turned to Topaz Impression and brightened the colors, softened the background, but kept the texture sharp on the “3.” (Final photo.)

By now, I just didn’t care any more! I do like the final version, but in my heart I know it’s weird and rather gimmicky. And yet, and yet… I’ll revisit it in a few years and see what I think. But I’ve worked this damned “3” to death and it’s time to move on.

You’re probably thinking the same thing about now…

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!