Friday, March 25, 2016

Royal Purple "3"


I was trying to come up with something different this morning. Here on my desk is a wooden box full of postage stamps, stamps that I scan and use in my work a lot.

My thinking was, is there a prominent "3" on some stamp that I could scan and then tweak for this month's "daily 3" project?

Queen Elizabeth saved the day.

Below you see the original postage stamp (vintage 1963). When I moved in closer, I could see every engraved/etched line and dot on her profile. It was fascinating.

I needed to move the "3" up closer to her so that I could get rid of all the unnecessary elements in the stamp and just focus on her head and, of course, the number "3."

That wasn't enough, however, for me to make the stamp look truly different. I checked out a variety of effects in Topaz, and opted for this one, a sketching effect that really exaggerates the etched lines and dots.

As J.K. Rowling would write, "mischief managed." I'm good to go for another day.

©Carol Leigh
All text, photographs, and other media are ©Copyright Carol Leigh (or others when indicated) and are not in the public domain and may not be used on websites, blogs, or in other media without advance permission from Carol Leigh. Thank you!